shopping on holidays

Author Topic: shopping on holidays  (Read 2499 times)

Offline starryeyes

• View Profile
shopping on holidays
« on: November 20, 2012, 12:09:04 AM »
Why is it so wrong for retail works to want Thanksgiving off? I remember a time when you planned ahead because you knew nothing would be open. If a store was open it was only for a few hours.
When I was a kid stores were closed on major holidays and Sundays. If only we could go back to those days...
I support the retail employees and hope the horrible Christmas Creep ends!!!
Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows fall behind you.

Offline Moonwishes

• View Profile
Re: shopping on holidays
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:21:03 AM »
The stores are open on holidays because people want stuff yesterday and like to think they are getting a deal.  Stupid.  Nothing is that important that it can't wait for 1 day so people can enjoy holiday time off.  Me, I wouldn't be caught dead in a store on Thanksgiving or the day after even if God came down and told me I would be getting the deal of the century.

Offline The Reaper

• Build coffins, that's all you'll need.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
Why not go back to stores only being open "bankers hours" - so you could never get there if you worked unless you took time off.  If you happen to notice - even banks have modified their hours on peak days and Saturdays to accomodate people who work the basic "8-5 shift".  It's a 24/7 world - times change.  This is only logical where you really think about it.  As the years go buy - our population increases.  Where are those extra people going to find work if stores are only open 1950's hours??  By having businesses open to accomodate people at all hours - we create more jobs as someone needs to to be there when you walk in.  For myself - I buy most of what I need on-line.  Decent prices and free shipping.   ;D
"Progressivism does not enlighten people - it merely makes them stupid in new ways"

Offline Moonwishes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
I do the majority of my shopping online as well.

Online catnap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »
It's getting to be a bit ridiculous, this frenzy to see who can open the earliest.  Last year it was 10 pm, this year 8 pm.  Next year - who knows - probably 6 PM.  After that, open all day.  The real reason is that people buy into all this and lineup waiting for the doors to open.  All this in pursuit of a few items sold below cost which quickly run out.  You can do just as well shopping on line, no hassle either.  I guess it shows that we aren't the brightest people in the world, something that we all saw on November 6.
Progressives have never seen a tax they don't like, a tax they don't want to increase or a new tax they want enacted.  The only requirement that the tax be levied on someone else, not them.

Offline tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »
And I was just reading somewhere that many of the "deals" aren't - you can get the item cheaper today (Tuesday) than it will be available as a "steal" on Friday (or Thursday).

Don't forget "Cyber Monday," when you won't be able to get through to any of the retail websites because everyone else is trying to.  Buy it today...
Tree

Everyone Goes Home Safety Begins With You
Nonsense is timeless.  It's just more easily disseminated these days.

Standard disclaimers apply.  No expiration date.  Your results may vary.

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline johnqpublic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:04:22 PM »
The Reaper:   For myself - I buy most of what I need on-line. 

Moonwishes:  I do the majority of my shopping online as well.

catnap:         You can do just as well shopping on line, no hassle either.

tree68:         Don't forget "Cyber Monday," when you won't be able to get through to any of the retail sites because everyone else is trying to.

Racist bastards! Filthy, greedy, selfish ubers! You're not paying your fair share. You're denying local and state governments their rightful piece of your pie. You're jeopardizing jobs and endangering businesses. Shame on you!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
...JQP posts the truth and profound sentiment....
WWR -  August 28, 2009, 10:15:01 PM

Offline SurvivalTechs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
There are certain specific holidays I don't believe anybody needs to be open-Independence Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Of course, the sign on my door reads as follows:

"WE CLOSE FOR MEMORIAL DAY, INDEPENDENCE DAY, THANKGIVING DAY, VETERAN’S DAY, COLUMBUS DAY,
CHRISTMAS DAY, NEW YEARS DAY, GOOD BOATING DAYS, MAYBE A DAY DURING HUNTING SEASON, REALLY BAD WINTER DAYS, HANGOVERS (THE DAY AFTER), AND ANY OTHER DAY WITH THE WORD “DAY” IN IT AT OUR DISCRETION.

HOWEVER, WE DON’T USUALLY TAKE A LUNCH."

Offline inspector71™

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Shut up, you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:12:51 PM »

Racist bastards! Filthy, greedy, selfish ubers! You're not paying your fair share. You're denying local and state governments their rightful piece of your pie. You're jeopardizing jobs and endangering businesses. Shame on you!

Bbbuuut! We only wanted CT to have the day off! ::)

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Offline Esox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »

Bbbuuut! We only wanted CT to have the day off! ::)

Why?  So he could sit at home and be miserable instead of at work and be likewise?
49 in 3.5..ahahahahahahaha!!

suctus esse tu

Offline starryeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »
I don't want to go back to 9-5, just close the damn doors on major holidays. And for that matter I don't want to see Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. Makes me sick!!!

Offline bigbore45

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »
I don't want to go back to 9-5, just close the damn doors on major holidays. And for that matter I don't want to see Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. Makes me sick!!!

I must Concur with starryeyes. Is the easter stuff out yet?

Offline antiblog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
What a bunch of whining crap.  Lets close the restaurants as well. Then everybody will have to cook at home. But wait, what if the power goes out because a tree falls on a wire? You can't have the lineman work, because he's supposed to be home waiting for dinner, so no soup for you. But wait, everybody in the hospital dies that day because, wait for it, waaaait foooor iiiiit.... The nurses and doctors are at home as well.

Shut up and get to work selling crap, #%^*tards

Offline starryeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:31:51 AM »
Hey Asslick um I mean antiblog... All my life my family has worked in jobs that were either at work or on call. This year I got a reprieve from work on Thanksgiving because my son's birthday falls on the same day. My Hunny will be at work at Sing Sing, my son is stationed in Okinawa and many years my ex was deployed. I appreciate the restaurants that decided to be open. There were a couple of years that we ate out on Thanksgiving because we were in the process of moving and one year I had just had a baby.

Offline AngryOldDude

• Get off my lawn !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
Suck it, EJ.

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
 I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." - Barack Obama

Offline antiblog

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
Oh, sorry, crud in the corner of your eye. What you then mean is that you only want people to work in or for the type of establishment you choose to grace with your presence, when and if you choose to do so.  I am sure they will be awaiting you with baited breath.

Offline bigbore45

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »

Antiblog, sounds like you have to work tomorrow?

Offline antiblog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
If one looks at this as "having to work" vs "being allowed to work, and make money to better ones life " then I guess I am out of arguments. Comrade

Offline bigbore45

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »

Enjoy your work day. I'll enjoy my family, something
    money can't buy.

Offline tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »
I've worked jobs that required my presence on holidays.  We tried to spread them around, although there are actually folks who actually like to work those days.  I suspect it's because oftimes there's no one around to bug them.

OTOH, I've had my holidays interrupted more than a few times by folks who've "decided" to wreck their car, burn their house, or get sick enough to require an ambulance.

There are restaurants that open on Thanksgiving, and even Christmas.  Methinks that in general the folks who choose to eat out are doing so for such reasons as a group too large to feed "in," or perhaps circumstances such as Starryeyes mentions.  They're not there because they expect to save money on items they wouldn't normally buy.

There are services that are needed - fuel, necessities, even fast food for those on the road.  A big screen TV is not a necessity (unless yours quit right before the big game/parade...)

I'll be enjoying a nice, traditional T'giving meal, hoping the pager doesn't go off.

For the rest of the weekend, I'll be on the train, dealing with hundreds of people headed for Old Forge for Christmas on Main Street and the Santa Trains,  and happy families enjoying the Polar Express.  If I have to do any shopping, I'll do it later.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home Safety Begins With You
Nonsense is timeless.  It's just more easily disseminated these days.

Standard disclaimers apply.  No expiration date.  Your results may vary.

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline johnqpublic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
From AOD.....

Nothing more need be said.
...JQP posts the truth and profound sentiment....
WWR -  August 28, 2009, 10:15:01 PM

Offline starryeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »
Thank you Tree for getting what I was trying to say. AOD, if you are trying to incite me, try again. When I raised my right hand and swore to defend my country I knew holidays were working days and I am pretty sure every soldier, sailor and Marine knows the same thing.

Offline silverbear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »
... although there are actually folks who actually like to work those days.  I suspect it's because oftimes there's no one around to bug them ...

Guilty as charged!  I always volunteer to work Thanksgiving, with the Mister's blessing, so that we have a ready made excuse not to travel to see his clan.  It's our get out of jail New Jersey free card.

Besides ... Everyone knows that Thanksgiving was last month!  ;)
I don't have hobbies.  I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Offline gunslinger

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Older and Wiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »
Thank you Tree for getting what I was trying to say. AOD, if you are trying to incite me, try again. When I raised my right hand and swore to defend my country I knew holidays were working days and I am pretty sure every soldier, sailor and Marine knows the same thing.

I do believe AOD was talking to EJ.
There are many folks working this Thanksgiving, as I'm sure you are aware.  ;)
I won't be the victim, but the first to cast a stone.

I am the one, true gunslinger - you shall put no other gunslinger before me. 
guns 1:01

Quote from: EvilJam

If we just all Open Carry there will be less gun violence.

Offline starryeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 12:18:13 AM »
EJ is a veteran like me. Of the Troops For the Troops

Offline inspector71™

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Shut up, you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
I did a lot of shifts on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, 4th of July, etc., etc. in the course of my career. So what?
Some jobs don't adhere to M-F, day shift only, holidays off. But you know (or should know) things like that when you sign on for the job. Don't agree with it? Then find another career. There are people out there beating the pavement every day that will gladly take your position.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:07:39 AM by inspector71™ »

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Offline Esox

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
I did a lot of shifts on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, 4th of July, etc., etc. in the course of my career. So what?
Some jobs don't adhere to M-F, day shift only, holidays off. But you know (or should know) things like that when you sign on for the job. Don't agree with it? Then find another career. There are people out there beating the pavement every day that will gladly take your position.

That sums it up in a nutshell.

For all these people who scream about work shifts, hours, etc., etc and then do foolish shit like "protest" their employer policies, I say Fvck 'em.

Frankly, I wish Wal Mart would take every leeching scum like EJ and fire their asses when they "protest", much like Reagan did back in the 80's with the ATC's.

With unemployment numbers being what they are, these scum should be thankful to even have a job, if a lot of these entitlements suddenly dried up, I'm sure their attitudes would change.

suctus esse tu

Offline starryeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 02:02:28 PM »
Why do retailers insist on being open? Oh I know... come buy shit you don't need at a price that undercuts the supplier. No one knows the difference between their wants and needs. Spend spend spend, go deeper in debt, in over their heads. File for bankruptcy and start the cycle all over again. I am staying home today and enjoying the day with my family. I am missing my son and my Hunny, they can't be here. There is not one deal worth getting out of bed for. I am on call for work but plan on spending the day at home or a quick motorcycle ride.
Thank you to those that must work on days like today.

Offline MAMAD

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
These people at Walmart should just be thankful they have jobs. In the medical field, we work holidays. It is part of the working world. Quit bitching and be thankful for what you have.
We ate at Ponderosa today because I have to work. It was GREAT. Also a hell of a lot cheaper then cooking it all at home. Also NO CLEANING UP AFTER. Now there is something to be thankful for.
Those people were all smiling and friendly. If it is open Christmas, we will have dinner there again.

Offline Esox

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »
These people at Walmart should just be thankful they have jobs.

Some of those whinin' bastards at Wal Mart wouldn't be happy if they got the week prior to, and the week after Thanksgiving off with pay, they'd STILL find something to bitch about.

Take for example our resident slackjawed leech.

If his work ethic is REALLY as lazy as he portrays it on here, he's lucky to even be considered for any sort of job, yet he bitches when he's asked to do basically anything.

Hell, the leech even thinks he oughta get a paid vacation day for the privilege of voting, making us all truly believe that he can't get to his voting place from 0600 till 2100, all the while bitching that Wally only gives him meager hours weekly.

I'd fire each and every one of 'em, lawsuits be damned...

suctus esse tu