Dispatch Center Funding

Author Topic: Dispatch Center Funding  (Read 1894 times)

Offline tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
Dispatch Center Funding
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
If you look closely at your cell phone bill here in NY, you'll notice a line titled "9-1-1 Surcharge".  Think  that goes to fund your local dispatch center?  You're just barely right.  However, most of the money goes to the state...

Don't get a cell phone bill because you use a prepaid phone?  You're right - you don't pay the 9-1-1 surcharge at all!  And something like 42% of all cell phones these days are prepaid.

So we make up the difference in our property taxes...

There's an effort to get more of the money from the 9-1-1 surcharge directed to the counties, and to have the surcharge apply to prepaid devices that could access the 9-1-1 centers as well.  Given the number of calls that come from cell phones these days, and the changing technologies that those calls are driving, this makes good sense.

If you think that's the way to go, download and print the letters to the Senate and Assembly.  (Print them in "landscape" mode.)  Once you've signed them, firefighters should route them to their county fire coordinator.  Individuals can send them directly to their senator and assembly member.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home Safety Begins With You
Nonsense is timeless.  It's just more easily disseminated these days.

Standard disclaimers apply.  No expiration date.  Your results may vary.

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Instigator1

• View Profile
Re: Dispatch Center Funding
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:06:40 PM »
I was just informed that St. Lawrence County Emergency Services Director is considering reorganizing their 911 center.

The assistant director position would be elimated.

A lot of services for fire and EMS would be greatly reduced or elimated.

Capabilities to enhance operations of the Sheriff's patrol would be elimated.

The 911 center will concentrate on providing only basic dispatching services.

There are many other changes but I don't remember them.

This is all being done because of budget problems and a different attitude from the new director.

Offline tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
There's a petition, generated locally, concerning the 9-1-1 surcharge and the fact that it's going into the general fund, instead of to the 9-1-1 centers, where it's obviously needed.

Times are changing.  Texting, camera phones, GPS, and even social media figure as strongly into our daily lives as the phone once did.  Keeping up with this technology in the world of emergency services dispatching isn't cheap. 

If you think that $1.20 surcharge on your phone should go to local 9-1-1 centers, consider adding your name to this:  http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/911surcharge/.

Tree

Offline Bondo

• Progressives,Suck..Bring NY 21st back to the Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
.Congress has also been looking into this issue. They say New York is one of five states left not returning money directly to 911 centers.

Ayuh,...  It's kinda tough to feel sorry for the call centers, when this is SoP for Albany anyways,...

When ALL the highway use taxes are thrown into the general fund, never to be seen again,...

When registration fees for Atv's were Tripled on the promise the funds would go to trails, yet before the ink was dry, ALL of it was swept into the general fund...

I'd sign yer petition just as soon as Albany burns to the ground, 'n ALL those in government are replaced...

'n seen's that ain't gonna happen, yer cause can grovel at the trough, Just like everybody else....

I'd love to see the day, when the Counties tell Albany to go pound sand up their arses, insteada whinin' 'bout unfunded mandates...
If it's Unfunded, frack 'em, it don't get done...
" How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen,
or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of "

Texas State Representative, Suzanna Hupp

Offline tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »
I'd love to see the day, when the Counties tell Albany to go pound sand up their arses, insteada whinin' 'bout unfunded mandates...
The problem with unfunded mandates is that they usually include some penalty if you don't comply. 

So if an agency/municipality/school district/whatever faces the loss of significant funding (on which they may rely to provide desired services) if they don't do the state's bidding, they usually comply.

This isn't a good example, but it's the best I can think of at the moment for a personal angle - auto insurance.  The state says you have to have it, and if you don't, you can't drive your car on the road.  (Of course, there are plenty of reasons to have insurance.)

Or there's the 55 MPH speed limit and lowered BAC at the federal level.  In both cases, if states didn't comply, their federal highway funding would get cut.

Tree

Offline Bondo

• Progressives,Suck..Bring NY 21st back to the Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:43:36 AM »
The problem with unfunded mandates is that they usually include some penalty if you don't comply. 

So if an agency/municipality/school district/whatever faces the loss of significant funding (on which they may rely to provide desired services) if they don't do the state's bidding, they usually comply.

This isn't a good example, but it's the best I can think of at the moment for a personal angle - auto insurance.  The state says you have to have it, and if you don't, you can't drive your car on the road.  (Of course, there are plenty of reasons to have insurance.)

Or there's the 55 MPH speed limit and lowered BAC at the federal level.  In both cases, if states didn't comply, their federal highway funding would get cut.

Ayuh,....   I know yer Right tree,...

My only point is, take the Counties of NYS,....
They're All bitchin' 'bout the Unfunded mandates, 'n lack of relief, 'n more, 'n more unfunded mandates bein' pushed upon them, darn near Daily,...

If 58 or 60 of the Counties in NYS just said F(*)ck you Cuomo, We ain't payin' without fundin',...

Things Would change,...

It's the ole United we stand, divided we fail....

With all the ship goin' down in Albany, the Best thing that could happen is burn it All to the ground, 'n start over with a fresh roster of players...
" How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen,
or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of "

Texas State Representative, Suzanna Hupp