Hardwood trees

Author Topic: Hardwood trees  (Read 1667 times)

Offline chattykathy

• View Profile
Hardwood trees
« on: September 29, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
I have a question. I have hardwood trees that I would like to sell to a lumber place. Black cherry trees, black walnut (whoever plants these in neighborhoods should really have had their head examined). They kill most everything around them from their toxic chemical called jugalone.

Also, a large elm tree...which is growing in a very detrimental area.

How does one find a company that is looking for good straight large trees  to fell for their business?

These cherry trees are growing and dumping bushels of their fruit into my parking lot and in my gardens and pond......not to mention the twigs, seeds and everything else about them are poisonous. Grumble.....

Any suggestions?

The previous owner told me a few years ago that someone had offered him $850.00 for the one cherry tree...and it  has gone up since then....

Offline gunslinger

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Older and Wiser
    • View Profile
Re: Hardwood trees
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »

Local sawmills (there are a few in the area, including the Amish)?
Caster's in Sandy Creek
Berry Bro's in Adams area

(I don't know anything about any of 'em, just googled...)

From a forester's blog:
If you can get in contact with a state forester in your area, they should be able to direct you to loggers and mills that may be interested in your timber.
I won't be the victim, but the first to cast a stone.

I am the one, true gunslinger - you shall put no other gunslinger before me. 
guns 1:01

Quote from: EvilJam

If we just all Open Carry there will be less gun violence.

Offline mhhuggins1

• makes old people smile (granddaughter alley cat)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:21:09 PM »
cronks in oswego county have a good rep
Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead. BF

Offline Bondo

• Progressives,Suck..Bring NY 21st back to the Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I have a question. I have hardwood trees that I would like to sell to a lumber place. Black cherry trees, black walnut (whoever plants these in neighborhoods should really have had their head examined). They kill most everything around them from their toxic chemical called jugalone.

Also, a large elm tree...which is growing in a very detrimental area.

How does one find a company that is looking for good straight large trees  to fell for their business?

These cherry trees are growing and dumping bushels of their fruit into my parking lot and in my gardens and pond......not to mention the twigs, seeds and everything else about them are poisonous. Grumble.....

Any suggestions?

The previous owner told me a few years ago that someone had offered him $850.00 for the one cherry tree...and it  has gone up since then....

Ayuh,....    Generally speakin', Saw mills Don't want trees from residential areas,....

To many nails, 'n other metal in 'em....

Some mills will saw 'em up for you, after you place a deposit for the value of the saw blade...
If they don't hit metal, they'll sell ya the lumber, 'n ya get the deposit back...
If they Do hit metal, the price of yer lumber will include the cost of the blade lost...
" How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen,
or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of "

Texas State Representative, Suzanna Hupp

Offline chattykathy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
Thanks everyone. I had done some research and even talked to a sawmill guy in Oswego and as Bondo said....No one touches any hardwoods that are in yards. The risk of hitting any metal, (nails, screws etc) is a very expensive mistake...no matter if there is any or not.

The guy in Oswego said that the Amish might buy the walnut to make bowls out of it. But you have to find them...and well, they have no phone. ;D

There are 3 trees that I can cut down and yell timber, :D but the large ones are going to be expensive to cut...But I have decided to get a wood stove in the basement some day and can use the wood.

The guy also told me because of the toxin...that no one should burn walnut because it will stink the house up with an awful odor and if composted, one must wait up to 2 years to use it because of the toxin.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

Offline bigbore45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »

CK, On the Black Walnut, If it has any size at all
    contact some of the rifle manufactures and tell them
    what you have and where. Black Walnut makes
    mighty nice gun stocks,

http://www.remington.com/pages/our-company/our-company/company-info.aspx

http://www.winchesterguns.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=244

http://www.ruger.com/footer/contact.html

Offline Bondo

• Progressives,Suck..Bring NY 21st back to the Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »
Thanks everyone. I had done some research and even talked to a sawmill guy in Oswego and as Bondo said....No one touches any hardwoods that are in yards. The risk of hitting any metal, (nails, screws etc) is a very expensive mistake...no matter if there is any or not.

The guy in Oswego said that the Amish might buy the walnut to make bowls out of it. But you have to find them...and well, they have no phone. ;D

There are 3 trees that I can cut down and yell timber, :D but the large ones are going to be expensive to cut...But I have decided to get a wood stove in the basement some day and can use the wood.

The guy also told me because of the toxin...that no one should burn walnut because it will stink the house up with an awful odor and if composted, one must wait up to 2 years to use it because of the toxin.

Ayuh,....    I know a local fella in the tree biz,...

If ya want, I can pm ya his number,....
" How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen,
or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of "

Texas State Representative, Suzanna Hupp

Offline chattykathy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »

Ayuh,....    I know a local fella in the tree biz,...

If ya want, I can pm ya his number,....
Thanks Bondo, I would like that...I know that 2 of these trees are going to be an enormous shiny penny....One that I can't do until spring. The walnuts are going if it's the last thing I do this fall. The threat of my gardens every time these trees get bigger is almost (not quite) but almost as threatening to me and it has weighed heavy on my heart and caused undue stress. Yah, I like my gardens that much.....No wonder nothing but certain plants grew in certain spots and I just never 'looked up'....

Of course this was the time of year everyone was complaining about the black cherry tree in the parking lot....(Me too, but I was also c/o the one hanging over my pond and dumping tiny balls into my fish pool.....the birds love them but they apparently can't keep up with the fruit yield. Then suddenly it just dawned on me when I was examining the leaves of the other tree and the hair on my neck stood on end.......and I cried NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Every gardeners worst nightmare occupant....

The worst part is....I found 3 huge ones in my neighbors yards.....

But any way......it will work out.....they will be gone....I will plant tomato seeds where they use to be to test the soil...if they die...it's too soon to plant anything of value.

Offline 57belair

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:03:01 PM »
Years ago there was a sawmill in Plessis he went out of business after cutting trees from Ft. Drum that were in the Impact Zone(full of ammo) or so the story goes.

Offline tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 10:43:40 PM »
Years ago there was a sawmill in Plessis he went out of business after cutting trees from Ft. Drum that were in the Impact Zone(full of ammo) or so the story goes.
When they built the new aerial gunnery range on the north end of the post (Range 48), they cut down all sorts of trees.  They are slowly rotting where they piled them, for exactly the reason 57 points out.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home Safety Begins With You
Nonsense is timeless.  It's just more easily disseminated these days.

Standard disclaimers apply.  No expiration date.  Your results may vary.

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson