Slow Burn

Author Topic: Slow Burn  (Read 1431 times)

Offline gunslinger

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Older and Wiser
    • View Profile
Slow Burn
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
This situation should never have happened, not with the resources in the near vicinity. 

I can't imagine being a witness to this - at least the guy wasn't screaming.  :-\

PS - I recognize that the vic is a criminal, but it's still an ugly way to go. 
I won't be the victim, but the first to cast a stone.

I am the one, true gunslinger - you shall put no other gunslinger before me. 
guns 1:01

Quote from: EvilJam

If we just all Open Carry there will be less gun violence.

Online tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Burn
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »
True enough. 

Much as I hate to rip on chiefs - one or all could have gone to the station (a mere .6 miles away) and picked up an engine instead of sitting on scene watching the fire burn.  They could have been in the station in a minute and back in less than three. 

Or they could have called Dewitt - just a few minutes away, in station, and ready to roll.

Authorities suspect it wouldn't have made much of a difference if the fire department had arrived in just a couple of minutes - the guy was likely already gone.

Still.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home Safety Begins With You
Nonsense is timeless.  It's just more easily disseminated these days.

Standard disclaimers apply.  No expiration date.  Your results may vary.

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline cr@ckhe@d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:26:54 PM »
Its only a matter of time before it happens closer to home.  How many times have we seen a parade of chiefs vehicles go past an empty station while they are barking into their radios for a re-tone..........

Offline firerescue501

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »
I dont really understand this...

You have (3) Chiefs at the scene and the engine is .6 miles away... hmmmm - seems to me anyone with COMMON SENSE would go get the rig...

I like LOVE this comment, "He said he would not change how he handled the response to the van crash"... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!! That statement did it for me... You have a STAFFED company 3 minutes out - and you wouldnt call them!  You have 2 Chiefs with their thumb up someones ass and you wouldnt have them get a rig!  Id bet that at least (1) of the Chiefs drove past the firehouse on the way to the call...

This is just uncalled for... Something tells me that we have not seen the end of this yet...

Offline canoeman136

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
All teh more reason to do away with individual departments and go countywide where a sane person is dispatching the closest available unit.

PumperDry

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
All teh more reason to do away with individual departments and go countywide where a sane person is dispatching the closest available unit.

Again, every discussion reverts back to a county wide dept.! Get over it , it will never happen in our lifetime... so why beat a dead horse????

Online tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »
Certainly a commendable concept - but one that New York law makes virtually impossible.

Look at what it took to combine just two departments in the same township, where the departments involved were in favor of the move.

Now multiply that by 40+, with some places putting up spirited opposition...
Tree

Offline canoeman136

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »

Again, every discussion reverts back to a county wide dept.! Get over it , it will never happen in our lifetime... so why beat a dead horse????

All it would take is the legislature to pass a law.  But then again it would require them to grow a set af BALLS which we know will never happen.

WE NEED TO ALL GET ALONG

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 10:54:45 AM »
I have seen the time it has took just in the Town of Brownville. I couldn't amagine what it would take county wide.

Offline cr@ckhe@d

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
I am a huge fan of the concept of a county wide dept ...  but .... the county wide dept. in an of itself will not place more firemen in bedroom communities during daytime hours, and it probably wont cause a flood of volunteers. 

Online tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 08:24:23 PM »
I am a huge fan of the concept of a county wide dept ...  but .... the county wide dept. in an of itself will not place more firemen in bedroom communities during daytime hours, and it probably wont cause a flood of volunteers. 
IMHO, there are two factors that might enhance daytime response with a county-wide fire department:

1.  Consistant requirements and expectations county-wide might increase the number of firefighters.  With county-level management, the social club aspect would likely fade into the sunset. 

2.  Since all stations would be under the same management, there is the possibility that someone who lives in one area of the county but works in another might well be able to run out of the station where they work as well.  Of course, all the other factors that affect responding from work also come into play - one-deep positions, out-of-state employers, etc.
Tree

Offline bren123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:49:46 PM »
The three chiefs of this volunteer department all get "department owned SUVs" and yet they cant manage to at least have paid on call or duty nights?

Priorities...