What IS the rule with Snow Plows?

Author Topic: What IS the rule with Snow Plows?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline gunslinger

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Older and Wiser
    • View Profile
What IS the rule with Snow Plows?
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:28:06 PM »
Honest question:  Do snow plows have to stop at stop signs when they come to them?

I'd like to think this is a no-brainer, but I've witnessed plows running stop signs on a number of occasions this year.
Maybe it has always happened and now I'm just more attuned to it?

I tried to look it up in NYS V&T but didn't have a lot of luck with their search engine...
I won't be the victim, but the first to cast a stone.

I am the one, true gunslinger - you shall put no other gunslinger before me. 
guns 1:01

Quote from: EvilJam

If we just all Open Carry there will be less gun violence.

Offline Petra

• View Profile
Re: What IS the rule with Snow Plows?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »
Not sure about the snow plow rules but that site is really bad for searching.  I recently tried to use it to see what the rules were for approaching emergency vehicles with their lights on.  I swear I read where we already were supposed to slow down and change lanes.
Some other interesting things "I think" I saw are:
1. You can legally pass on the right if someone is stopped to take a left.
2. You're supposed to come to a complete stop when entering the roadway.

Dangerousdon

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
Seems that they are not an emergency vehicle.Stop should mean stop.

mistermean

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:24:59 PM »
legally they should stop but physically i wouldn't pull out in front of them. 

shockhazard69

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »
The rule is when you just finish the end of your driveway, they will come fill it up with snow again.

Offline Chickenlegs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »
The rule is when you just finish the end of your driveway, they will come fill it up with snow again.

You must live on my street. :-\
"V" - Just one drop...that's all you need...

Offline Serendipity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
Snow plows have to follow rules?  Maybe someone should tell them.  Twice in past years (when I lived on the Massey St Rd.) I was almost struck head on by a snow plow driving full-speed down the middle of the road with his plow down, leaving me no choice but to go off the road.
"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right."
-H. L. Mencken

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

shockhazard69

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »

You must live on my street. :-\

In all the places I have lived, they do that.

Offline tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
I don't think they get any special dispensations.  If you know whose plow it is, get a number, place, and time and send in a complaint (in writing).  If you call them, they'll just give you some jibberjabber about how hard it is for the plows to stop and start, yada yada yada.

I remember hearing about plows running the wrong way on Arsenal Street from the Square to Massey, when it was all one way.

If it weren't for trashing your car and the possibility of injury, I'd recommend asserting your right-of-way.  That would probably cure them for a while.

In the meantime, give 'em a wide berth.  They're bigger than you are.

Tree

Everyone Goes Home Safety Begins With You
Nonsense is timeless.  It's just more easily disseminated these days.

Standard disclaimers apply.  No expiration date.  Your results may vary.

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Bondo

• Progressives,Suck..Bring NY 21st back to the Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:06:14 PM »
remember hearing about plows running the wrong way on Arsenal Street from the Square to Massey, when it was all one way.

If it weren't for trashing your car and the possibility of injury, I'd recommend asserting your right-of-way.  That would probably cure them for a while.

Ayuh,....   Or you could just be careful, 'n make way, where you can,....

Those guys are just out there doin' a Job,...
I wouldn't Expect the plow to come to a full 3 second Stop at stop signs,...
It's not Practical, unless there's traffic...
If there's traffic, 'course he's gotta stop...

Back in the 80s, the state of New Mexico plowed the left lane of the interstates, going the Wrong Way...
All their plows were 1-way plows....
Scared the Ship outa me the 1st time I saw it happenin',... :o
" How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen,
or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of "

Texas State Representative, Suzanna Hupp

Offline Loser

• View Profile
    • Youtube pipe smokers club
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »
"the rule" as tree pointed out is "they're bigger than you, they'll do whatever they want to do.

once i was headed to work (surprising, i know) before the sun came up.
 just before the hill at porky's a plow came through with the left side blade down and the bright lights burnin' i don't know who's truck it was but i have to assume it was chaumont's or maybe a state plow due to location. i tried to stop and it didn't help, i ended up in the ditch... took me a few minutes but i got out without having to call anyone for help.
Quote from: gunslinger
Loser is correct.
Quote from: Kurt Hyneman
Loser is right
Quote from: tree68
What Loser said.
Quote from: MAMAD
I (choke,choke) agree with Loser.
Holy shit, Loser. That's actually funny!

Dangerousdon

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »
Another ? Is it a law that a back hoe has to be license to operate on a street, highway?

Dont mean to derail the thread.

Offline Bondo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 11:55:22 AM »
Another ? Is it a law that a back hoe has to be license to operate on a street, highway?

Nope,...   It's just gotta be Insured....
" How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen,
or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of "

Offline canoeman136

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »
Honest question:  Do snow plows have to stop at stop signs when they come to them?

I'd like to think this is a no-brainer, but I've witnessed plows running stop signs on a number of occasions this year.
Maybe it has always happened and now I'm just more attuned to it?

I tried to look it up in NYS V&T but didn't have a lot of luck with their search engine...

Snow plows are considered a Hazard Vehicle.  NYS V&T Law section 1103 exempts them from the rules of the road when engaged in road maintenance except in a very limited set or circumstances as long as take reasonable care. 

So in answer to your question, yes they can run thru a stop sign if they make sure the road is clear.

shockhazard69

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »

Most times when you see the state, city, town, villages, etc. operating them, they do have plates. Official plates are free for the government, so that's why they register them.

Offline canoeman136

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 06:57:24 AM »

Sorry Bondo, but you got that answer wrong.

VTL section 401 requires that they be registered and pay an annual fee of $14.38.  So a backhoe must be registered along with most costruction vehicles, to include Rollers, cranes, Sweepers and many other items.

Offline Bondo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 11:06:18 AM »

VTL section 401 requires that they be registered and pay an annual fee of $14.38.  So a backhoe must be registered along with most costruction vehicles, to include Rollers, cranes, Sweepers and many other items.

Hmmmm,....   I guess every contractor in NYS missed that memo....

Offline 57belair

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 04:57:59 PM »

Hmmmm,....   I guess every contractor in NYS missed that memo....
With NYS needing money it's just a matter of time they'll want their dime.

Offline inspector71™

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Shut up, you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »

I remember that there used to be a "special commercial" plate back in the day, but I looked on DMV's website last year and really couldn't find any info about registering such equipment.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

shockhazard69

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 01:06:57 AM »

I remember that there used to be a "special commercial" plate back in the day, but I looked on DMV's website last year and really couldn't find any info about registering such equipment.

They are working out the details on how to register them now that it has been brought up.

Offline inspector71™

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Shut up, you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 06:59:03 AM »

They are working out the details on how to register them now that it has been brought up.

I know that state government has "STATE" plates and local governments get "OFFICIAL" plates. I guess that I haven't seen plates on privately owned equipment in a long time so I wondered how that worked.
Over 25 years ago I worked at Northern Asphalt and we had some equipment with "SPEC COMM" plates on them. Yet I have a towable boom lift that doesn't require a plate. Sure wish DMV would simplify sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:02:31 AM by inspector71™ »

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Offline LarryTheCableGuy

• Recovering New Yorker, and Global Warming heretic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 06:11:14 PM »

Ayuh! It is better to yield, than to be "right and wrecked"!

"You can keep your plan, you can keep your doctor, and costs will be lower." Barack Hussein Obama
"You can lead a leftist to the truth, but you can't make him think!" The Honorable John Q Public
"I am a source - I thought you knew that.  I am he who is - therefore I am". The Reaper

Offline Bondo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »

Ayuh! It is better to yield, than to be "right and wrecked"!

Ayuh,...   Is that what Snow plowin's all about down there Larry,..??

Where's the Snow,..??   ;D

Offline LarryTheCableGuy

• Recovering New Yorker, and Global Warming heretic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
   When I retired Bondo, I put my snowblower in the back of my pickup, and drove south. This is the first place someone said: "What the hell is that thing in the back?"  ;D 
   They DO have plows down here, but they spend most of their time in the garage.  ;)
"You can keep your plan, you can keep your doctor, and costs will be lower." Barack Hussein Obama
"You can lead a leftist to the truth, but you can't make him think!" The Honorable John Q Public
"I am a source - I thought you knew that.  I am he who is - therefore I am". The Reaper